Wrongful death is the death of a human being as the result of a wrongful act of another person. It is the basis for a lawsuit against the party or parties who caused the death filed on the behalf of the members of the family who have lost the company and support of the deceased. A lawsuit for wrongful death may be filed by the Personal Representative of the estate of the deceased. Florida law imposes a time limit in which a wrongful death lawsuit may be filed, so it is of great importance that you contact an attorney as soon as possible.

Seeking Justice

If you are coping with a loved one’s death, no amount of money can replace what you have lost. However, if your loved one died due to negligence of another person, you may have grounds for a wrongful death claim. 

Causes of a wrongful death may include:

  • Car Accidents
  • Motorcycle Accidents
  • Boat and Jet-Ski Accidents
  • Truck Accidents
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Defective Drugs and Products
  • Slip & Fall Incidents
  • Vicious Dog Attacks

Those who cause the deaths of others due to negligence or wrongful actions may be held legally responsible. These parties can include individuals as well as business entities or even governmental agencies. 


Under The Florida Wrongful Death Act, the following may be entitled to receive compensation in a wrongful death case: 

  • Decedent’s Spouse
  • Decedent’s Children
  • Decedent’s Parents
  • Blood relatives who are dependent on the decedent for support or services
  • Adoptive brothers or sisters who are dependent on the decedent for support or services

Under The Florida Wrongful Death Act, the victim’s family may be entitled to the following types of damages: 

  • Medical or Funeral Expenses
  • Loss of Income and Family Support
  • Emotional Pain and Suffering
  • Mental Anguish
  • Loss of companionship for the surviving spouse and children
  • Loss of parental guidance for surviving minor children
Contact Us
If you have been affected by unfair trade practices and believe you have a unfair trade practice case, please contact Scarritt Law Group today.